Friday, 23 October 2015

How I Started Playing Blues Guitar - Keith Wyatt

hudson hornet

I was drawn to the sound of guitars and blues long before I knew anything about either one. My earliest musical memory is of "Heartbreak Hotel" blasting out of the dashboard of my parents' Hudson Hornet; I must have heard hours of music from that same radio, but that's the only bit that stuck.

A few years later, guitar instrumentals by artists like the Ventures, Link Wray, and Booker T & the MGs made my hair stand up. As rock & roll morphed into rock, the guitar-based sounds of the Kinks and Stones, then Hendrix, Cream, Zeppelin, and Beck overshadowed everything else. Guitar rang loud and clear, but even after I started playing I didn't fully appreciate the blues connection.

My heroes raved about guys named Johnson and King, but what little "real" blues I actually heard sounded kind of old and scratchy - I appreciated it more than I was inspired by it. That all changed a few years later when - now driving my own car - I heard Albert King's "The Sky is Crying" and had to pull over. I got it.

read more



Original Content: How I Started Playing Blues Guitar - Keith Wyatt

No comments:

Post a Comment